Friday, March 26, 2010

Starting Seeds...

One of my favorite things about spring and summer is gardening. I recently started a few herbs - chives, oregano, basil, lavender, and spearmint. The past two years, I've started all my seeds in our kitchen in our apartment. As you can imagine, this could be quite messy. So it was great to be able to be outside and not worry about getting dirt on the floor or on our kitchen table. I picked up one of those plastic domed "greenhouse" that are available everywhere now to give a try. I usually use the small peat pots, but was tired of how fast they would get mold on. The greenhouse I got has 4 different cell packs, each with 9 seed spots. I planted the oregano, basil, lavender, and spearmint in this. So far, so good. It makes watering easy. I bottom water so I don't distrubing the seed, so I just pour some in the bottom of the tray and have the plants soak it up. The chives I planted in these newspaper pots I made. My mother gave me a small kit that makes pots for starting seeds without tape or glue, just newpaper.


Here's my seed starting set up.



I've never tried lavender before. I thought it would be good to try growing and that I could dry the flowers to use in the soaps I started to make. However, I found out that new lavender plants don't get flowers until the second year. So I'll have a little bit of a wait.



Here's 4 out of my 5 herbs all planted and ready to grow.

No comments: