Friday, May 7, 2010

Art Show

The bookstore-cafe that Kinsey and I are managers at (www.midtownscholar.com), had an employee art show for the month of April. We each exhibited 3 works which all but one were made especially for the show. Here's what 4 of them looked like.

Here's Kinsey's burning building collage. Kinsey's medium of choice is recycled magazine pages. I don't know how he can find the exact colors he needs so well. You don't really noticed that his art is made from magazines until you really get up close.


And a close up of the building and a car. I love all the detail in this one.


Kinsey had the idea for each of us to do the same design, but only in different materials. He chose magazine paper and I of course, choose fabric and embroidery. We entitled these "Ship at High Seas I and II". The first two shots are of mine. The overall work didn't photograph well in this light. I'm hoping to get a good shot before the buyer picks it up.


You can see the colors better here:




Kinsey's version:


I've always had a fascination with maps and trail booklets. I've had this idea in my head for a while and thought this show would be a good experiment with what I like to refer to as map embroidery. My subject (which shouldn't be a surprise to anyone) was Acadia National Park.


My favorite part. I liked this close stitch look a lot. All the different colors and the circular stitch motion have a really nice feeling to me.

No comments: