Wednesday, December 28, 2011

handmade Christmas ornaments for 2011

It should be no surprise that we like to make things.  Christmas theme things are no exception.  Our tree (Dougie Wonderfir) this year looked like this:


Project #1:  Garland
This year, I was set on making some sort of garland.  I had thought about going the paper circles looped together route, but then I looked at my scalloped circle hole punch.  And my massive world atlas I came across for free.  And my garland was born.


I started by punching out hundreds (really!) of circles from different maps.  Then I simply starting sewing a long line without cutting the thread.  I was left with a really long chain of garland.  I ended up making 2 different chains for my tree.




It really couldn't have been easier and faster.  This project reminded me of how much I love garlands.  This could also be a year round decoration.  
Total cost: $0


Project #2: Felt Circle Trees
I found these circle felt trees at Target a few weeks before Christmas.


I loved them.  I wanted them for my tree.  $3 was pretty cheap, but I knew I could make them without much effort.  
I did not have the thicker felt the store bought trees had, but I do have just about every color of felt under the sun.  The end result:


My trees ended up having a bit more movement and I opted to not included the rolled up felt for the trunk.  Or the circle topper.  I used plastic beads I've had forever and spaced two beads between each layer of felt.


Simple, colorful, and fun.  
Total cost: $0.




No comments: