Monday, May 12, 2008

Ships at Sea...


So lately, I've been pretty interested in old prints of ships and boats. I'm not really sure what brought this interest on, but I've been searching for old prints, pins, necklaces, and other such curiosities with ships on. My local library (which is fantastic and is two blocks away) has some really great books with tons and tons of old paintings, engravings, and prints of ships at sea. I've been thinking about what to do with ships on and what materials to use. I really wasn't too much in the sewing mood today, so I decided that it would be a perfect time to make a linoleum block cut of a ship.

After researching what type of style to do, I settled on something called the "Hermaphrodite Brig". I googled this term and it means: a type of two-masted sailing ship which has square sails on the foremast combined with a schooner rig on the mainmast. The "hermaphrodite" name is because it's a mix of the two main types of sail plans. Anyhow, I'm really thrilled with the final outcome! Here's the final print:



I printed up quite a few runs of the cards on different colored cardstock. For some strange reason, I printed these in my bathroom....I suppose I did this because my kitchen table had things on and I didn't want to take the time to clean it up. I was really anxious to see how they turned out.




I really love the design a lot. These are my favorite printed cards I've done and I'm excited to see what others think! I also made this little ship coaster today:



I definitely had a theme going on today, huh? Enjoy!

Beth

No comments: