Friday, June 6, 2008

Grow Little Plants, Grow!



We've been pretty busy lately working in our garden. Preparing the soil, weeding, planting, weeding, watering, weeding...... Everything is going well, the only negative part is the fact that our garden isn't at our home, so we can only work in it 2-3 days a week. This of course means, that there is always a lot to do and a lot to weed. But it's a small price to pay for the straight out of the garden freshness that our veggies will have! Here's some pictures from April when we starting some of our seeds:





I at one time had 40 little pots going with seeds! Needless to say, I'm very happy they are in the ground now! It was like our apartment was a vegetable green house! The only casualty so far was my heirloom cucumbers. They were Mexican Sour Gherkins which are to have a really sweet flavor but at the same time taste like they're already pickled. I started them for seeds, but believe I transplanting them in the ground a bit too soon. I had some seeds left over that I planted straight in the ground, but we'll see what happens with them.

Also, this year, we are trying corn for the first time. I'm really looking forward to this crop and am hoping it does well. Fresh corn is one of my favorite summer vegetables. I could eat it roasted on the grill everyday in the summer!


I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of our lettuce crop. We planted a mixture of eight different varieties, so I'm excited to try them all out. Here's a picture of our little leaves growing (plus a number of weeds).



Hope you fellow gardeners are having a good growing season!

~Beth

No comments: